Saturday, July 19, 2008

The beauty of Silence

One of our assignments for Dr. Childers class was to watch a movie intitled "Into Great Silence" it was pretty much a silent movie other than just a few lines said here and there that you read english subtitles to because they spoke in French. It was a 2 hour and 42 minute movie, not what I would consider entertainment for sure. Part of this assignment was to have a discussion with the class over and assigned topic. The topic was what seduces you in this film or what does not. Imediately we all began to say how it was hard to stay awake and that nothing seduced us about the silence. As I have spent the last few days thinking about it I realize that that is a major problem. Silence is something that we all need, it allows us to spend one on one time with God and allows him to speak to us. But Being an american I feel that my life is constantly going with very little time to sit in silence and let God have a moment alone with me.

All of that being said. I spent the day alone yesterday walking around the beautiful town of oxford and I just cleared my mind and enjoyed the few hours in silence. I challenge all of you to do the same let your mind clear and spend some time in silence it will amaze you how great it feels.

The week has gone very well, I am enjoying it here more and more everyday! I spent more time at the park today, we fed the ducks and just walked around it was such a beautiful day, who could pass up being outside when its in the low to mid 60s and sunny outside? I hope you are all having blessed weekends!


Stacie and I on our day trip



me and my beautiful roommates.. (it was a bit windy)

Salisbury Cathedral (its 750 years old this year!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should come with me to Port Meadow. That's a wonderful place to be silent!

Unknown said...

Very deep thoughts. I love walking through parks and the city, and not paying attention to anything unpleasant.

Sounds like you are having an amazing time. I look forward to hearing all about it. IN PERSON!

Anonymous said...

Is it sad that I actually want to see that movie?(I REALLY love movies) But I got to admit 2 hours and 42 minutes is a bit ridiculous even if it wasn't mostly silent :s